Massachusetts Lottery Games
On the Massachusetts State Lottery site, numerous games are available, including Draw, Instants, Pull Tabs, Charitable Games, and Season Tickets. More than 100 Draw and Instant games are available, giving the Massachusetts State Lottery one of the more extensive libraries of lottery games to play and earn the top prize.
Let's start with Draw Games.
Massachusetts Draw Games
Upon opening the Draw and Instant Games tab, you'll find a filtering option only to look at Draw Games. Nine options are available, including Massachusetts Lottery games specifically available there and games played in multiple states.
Below, we'll discuss the four top draw games, which are found only at the Massachusetts State Lottery, and not on Massachusetts sports betting apps.
The Numbers Game
When playing The Numbers Game, you can participate in two modes: Numbers Game Evening and Numbers Game Midday. Of course, you can play both, too, if you'd like. These happen at 2 p.m. (Numbers Game Midday) and 9 p.m. (Numbers Game Evening), respectively.
To play, you'll select four numbers between 0-9. These can be chosen manually or with Quic Pic, which randomly selects numbers for you.
After choosing which time(s) you want to play, your ticket will win based on how many numbers are matched—the probabilities of winning range from 1 in 10 to 1 in 2,500.
The winnings are based on the money added to the "pot." The winnings are distributed from a prize pool of 63% and paid out on a pari-mutuel basis.
A recent big win was for $5,254 on an Exact 4. This prize was based on a $1 ticket purchase.
To start playing Mass Cash, select five numbers between 1-35. You'll choose them manually or use Quic Pic. Each ticket costs $1.
Mass Cash drawings happen once per day at 9 p.m.
To become a winner, your ticket must match at least three numbers.
- ✅ 5 of 5 = $100,000. Probability of 1 in 324,632.
- ✅ 4 of 5 = $250. Probability of 1 in 2,164.21.
- ✅ 3 of 5 = $10. Probability of 1 in 74.63.
The Wheel of Luck
The Wheel of Luck is a roulette-like game. There are three ways to play: matching the exact number, odd/even, or red/black.
Wager amounts differ depending on the wager you make.
- ✅ Number Match: $1, $2, or $5.
- ✅ Odd/Even: $2, $4, or $10.
- ✅ Red/Black: $2, $4, or $10.
As expected, the prizes for a winner differ depending on how much you wager.
- ✅ Number Match: $25, $50, $125
- ✅ Odd/Even: $3, $6, $15
- ✅ Red/Black: $3, $6, $15
To play, you'll make your wager and select how much you want to wager. You'll then play the game and see where the ball lands in the roulette wheel to see if you win. You can also play similar games at MGM Springfield casino and sportsbook, but keep in mind, the BetMGM Massachusetts bonus code will not be valid there.
Massachusetts Lottery Keno
Yes, Keno is available at the Massachusetts State Lottery.
To get started, choose from 1 of 12 spots to play and then select numbers between 1-80. The amount of numbers you'll pick is based on how many spots you want to play. Wagers on Massachusetts State Lottery Keno range from $1 to $20, and you can play up to 30 consecutive drawings.
Massachusetts Keno Bonus is available. You'll receive 10x your prize when you double your wager. However, Massachusetts Keno Bonus isn't available on 10, 11, or 12-Spot.
Drawings occur every three minutes between 5:04 a.m. to 1:o1 a.m.
The prizes you win scale based on how much you wager, but we'll look at winnings below based on $1 wagers.
- 💰 Match 12 = $1,000,000. Probability of 1 in 478,261,833.14.
- 💰 Match 11 = $25,000. Probability of 1 in 5,978,272.91.
- 💰 Match 10 = $2,500. Probability of 1 in 184,230.29.
- 💰 Match 9 = $1,000. Probability of 1 in 10,482.07.
- 💰 Match 8 = $150. Probability of 1 in 980.78.
- 💰 Match 7 = $25. Probability of 1 in 142.30.
- 💰 Match 6 = $5. Probability of 1 in 31.05.
- 💰 Match 0 = $4. Probability of 1 in 43.05.
- ✅ Overall odds are 1 in 15.73.
On the Massachusetts State Lottery website, Massachusetts Keno displays hot and cold numbers indicating the most and least frequently drawn.
At the time of this lottery write-up, they're as follows:
- 🔥 Hot Numbers: 17, 21, 23, 64, and 80.
- 🥶 Cold Numbers: 1, 6, 25, 45, and 57.
Multi-State Draw Games
As the name would suggest, the main difference between Massachusetts State Lottery-only Draw Games and Multi-State Draw games is that the player pool significantly increases, including all participating states.
For claiming prizes with these games, you'll have to do so in different ways depending on the amount of money you win.
- 💰 Prizes up to $600: Redeem from a local Lottery Agent location.
- 💰 Prizes of $601 - $5,000: Redeem on the Mass Lottery app.
- 💰 Prizes up to and including $50,000: Claiming by mail. The address for this is P.O. Box 859036 in Braintree, Massachusetts. You must sign your ticket, print and fill out a winner claim form, and include copies of your government-issued ID and proof of your social security number.
- 💰 Prizes between $601-$103,000: Claimed at a Lottery office location.
- 💰 Over $103,000: Claimed at the Massachusetts State Lottery Headquarters in Dorchester, MA.
Below, we'll review each game and explain the rules.
To play Powerball, you'll select five numbers between 1-69 and one Powerball number between 1-26. Each ticket costs $2. You can choose these manually or with Quic Pic. You can use the same numbers for multiple drawings, but you must make that distinction at purchase.
Drawings occur every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 10:59 p.m.
The jackpot, which is progressive, meaning it increases each drawing it isn't won, is currently sitting at $125 million.
You can add Power Play, like a Powerball bonus, and receive 10x your winnings if you wager an additional $1.
You'll win the following ways, with some of the top prizes changing based don't the jackpot:
- 💰 Match 5 + Powerball = $109,000,000 (jackpot amount). 1 in 292,201,338.00 (or more).
- 💰 Match 5 = $1 million. 1 in 11,688,053.52
- 💰 Match 4 + Powerball = $50,000. 1 in 913,129.18
- 💰 Match 4 = $100. 1 in 36,525.16
- 💰 Match 3 + Powerball = $100. 1 in 14,494.11
- 💰 Match 3 = $7. 1 in 579.76
- 💰 Match 2 + Powerball = $7. 1 in 701.32
- 💰 Match 1 + Powerball = $4. 1 in 91.97
- 💰 Match Powerball = $4. 1 in 38.32
- ✅ Overall Odds: 1 in 24.8671.
The most recent drawing, at the time of this writing, and per the Massachusetts State Lottery website, was a single $50,000 winner, meaning they matched four numbers and the Powerball.
Massachusetts Mega Millions
Mega Millions is similar to Powerball, but instead, you'll choose five numbers between 1-70 and a Mega Ball number between 1-25. Tickets cost $2, and you can add Megaplier, a Mega Millions bonus, to receive 5x your wager when you add $1.
Below are the winnings you can receive, as well as the current jackpot, which will change with each drawing a winner isn't crowned.
- 💰 Match 5 + Mega Ball = $99,000,000 (jackpot amount). 1 in 302,575,350 (or more).
- 💰 Match 5 = $1 million. 1 in 12,607,306
- 💰 Match 4 + Mega Ball = $10,000. 1 in 931,001
- 💰 Match 4 = $500. 1 in 38,792
- 💰 Match 3 + Mega Ball = $200. 1 in 14,494.11
- 💰 Match 3 = $10. 1 in 606
- 💰 Match 2 + Mega Ball = $10. 1 in 693
- 💰 Match 1 + Mega Ball = $4. 1 in 89
- 💰 Match Mega Ball = $2. 1 in 37
- ✅ Overall Odds: 1 in 24.
Drawings occur every Tuesday and Friday at 11:00 p.m. The most recent winning numbers allowed for five winners at the $500 level.
Massachusetts Lucky For Life
If you're a winner of Lucky for Life, you'll receive $1,000 a day. To play, you'll select five numbers between 1-48 and a Lucky Ball between 1-18. Tickets cost $2 and winning numbers can be chosen manually or with Quic Pic.
As of July 19, 2021, Lucky for Life drawings now happen seven days per week at 10:38 p.m.
You'll win in the following ways, but keep in mind that the first three prizes could be altered due to the pari-mutuel nature of the lottery game:
- 💰 Match 5 + Lucky Ball = $7,000 a week for life. 1 in 30,821,472
- 💰 Match 5 = $25,000 a year for life. 1 in 1,813,027
- 💰 Match 4 + Lucky Ball = $5,000. 1 in 143,355
- 💰 Match 4 = $200. 1 in 8,432
- 💰 Match 3 + Lucky Ball = $150. 1 in 3,413
- 💰 Match 3 = $20. 1 in 200
- 💰 Match 2 + Lucky Ball = $25. 1 in 249
- 💰 Match 2 = $3. 1 in 14
- 💰 Match 1 + Lucky Ball = $6. 1 in 49
- 💰 Match Lucky Ball = $4. 1 in 32
- ✅ Overall Odds: 1 in 7.8.
The most recent drawing had four winners of $200, but none for the top-three winnings.
Massachusetts All Or Nothing
As the name of the game—All Or Nothing—states, you'll win if you get all of your numbers matched or none, and yes, they have the same payout.
To play, you'll select 12 numbers between 1-24. You'll wager between $1 and $10. You'll also select the number of drawings you want to participate in, up to 30.
There is a bonus, which is optional. To get a winning ticket and receive 10x more in prize money, simply double your wager.
Drawings take place every four minutes between 5:04 a.m. to 1:oo a.m.
Here's how the prizes and probabilities shake out:
- 💰 Match 12 = $100,000. Probability of 1 in 2,704,156.
- 💰 Match 11 = $400. Probability of 1 in 18,779.
- 💰 Match 10 = $25. Probability of 1 in 621.
- 💰 Match 9 = $4. Probability of 1 in 56.
- 💰 Match 8 = $2. Probability of 1 in 11.
- 💰 Match 7-5 = No prize.
- 💰 Match 4 = $2. Probability of 1 in 11.
- 💰 Match 3 = $4. Probability of 1 in 56.
- 💰 Match 2 = $25. Probability of 1 in 621.
- 💰 Match 1 = $400. Probability of 1 in 18,779.
- 💰 Match 0 = $100,000. Probability of 1 in 2,704,156
- ✅ Overall odds are 1 in 4.54.
Instant Win Games
Instant Win Games, also known as scratch-offs, are games that you can play, scratch the necessary parts of the ticket away and see if you win a prize. The difference between these and Draw Games is that Draw Games are done on a schedule, whereas Instant Games can be played at any time.
On the Massachusetts State Lottery website, there are 116 options available, with ticket costs ranging from $1 or less, $2, $5, $10, $20, $30, and $50.
As expected, the jackpot winnings scale based on the ticket cost.
Massachusetts Lottery App
The Massachusetts Lottery does have a mobile app. The app is available for both iOS and Android users. You can download the app from the Apple App and Google Play Store.
On the app, you can scan tickets to begin a mobile claim. As mentioned above, you can redeem prizes of $601-$5,000 on the app, and winnings are deposited directly into your bank account.
The mobile app also allows you to play all games found on the desktop site, including the 125 Instant and Draw Games.
How to Purchase Lottery Tickets in Massachusetts
In Massachusetts, you can purchase Lottery tickets online and in person.
Online: Add funds to your account and purchase them on desktop or the mobile app.
In-Person: Visit a participating Massachusetts Lottery agent.
Are there any Promo Codes for the Lottery in MA?
On the Massachusetts Lottery site, there's a section dedicated to promotions. Here, you'll find current promotions and recent promotions. While the recent promotions are no longer active, they're there to illustrate that promotions are frequently offered with the MA Lottery.
The current promotion is for Keno but is only available from May 8 to 15. While this may not be available when you're reading this, it may be helpful to know what the promotion is to get an idea of what to look forward to.
With this promotion, you'll receive an additional 2x on the Keno Bonus multiplier.
In addition to these promotions, you can enroll in a VIP Program, which allows you to enroll in second-chance drawings for a chance to win other cash prizes.
Under the "Games" section on the lottery website, you'll see a page dedicated to Season Tickets.
The policy surrounding season tickets changed as of April 4, 2021. Here are the rules per the lottery website:
- ✅ Season Tickets are no longer available for purchase at retail locations, regional claim centers, or by mail
- ✅ All Season Ticket purchases and renewals must be made online or by phone
- ✅ The only methods of payment for Season Tickets are credit card, debit card, or eCheck
- ✅ Paper checks and cash are no longer being accepted
- ✅ 52-week subscriptions for all games are temporarily unavailable
- ✅ Season Tickets will enroll you in contests for Mass Cash, Mega Millions, Megabucks Doubler, Powerball, or Lucky For Life.
The prices range from as low as $45 for 25 drawings of Mega Millions to $630 for 364 drawings of Lucky For Life.
All Season Tickets packages are purchased in 3-month, 6-month, and 1-year timeframes.
Massachusetts Lottery History
As mentioned, the Massachusetts State Lottery was established in 1971 and is owned by the government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
While established in 1971, the first drawing happened in April 1972. In its first week, the lottery generated over $15 million in the first week and over $100 million in the first year.
Here, you'll have access to numerous types of games, including Draw, Instant, Keno, and Multi-State Draw.
The lottery has generated billions of dollars, which have been reinvested into towns and cities in the Commonwealth.
Biggest Lottery Wins in Massachusetts
On the Massachusetts Lottery site, you can see winners. Still, they're all relatively recent and only include $5,000 or more prizes.
However, we found some massive winners throughout the history of the NC State Lottery:
- 💰 $758.7 million: The largest lottery winning in Massachusetts history belongs to Chicopee native Mavis Wanczyk. She won it through Powerball in 2017 and opted for a cash prize of $480.5 million, which resulted in $336 million after taxes.
- 💰 $294 million: In 2004, someone won Mega Millions for $294 million. It was won by a buyer at the Power Wine Co. package store in Lowell.
- 💰 $61.45 million: This winning came via Powerball on December 11, 2013. The winning ticket was sold at Appletown in Sterling.
- 💰 $50 million: Also a win from Powerball; this win happened almost a year to the date before the $61.45 million winning. The winning ticket was sold to a person a Shell station in Lexington.
- 💰 $32 million: Rounding out the top five is a $32 million prize from Mega Millions. This happened on August 19, 2011, at Tedeschi Food Shop in Dorchester.
Massachusetts Lottery FAQ
Yes. You can buy lottery tickets online from the mobile app or desktop site.
You can cash lottery tickets in Massachusetts in numerous ways, but they're based on how much you win. You'll be able to cash them at participating lottery agents, the mobile app, mailing them into the Braintree P.O. Box, or visit Massachusetts Lottery Headquarters.
Yes and no. While you can't remain completely anonymous, you can collect winnings in the name of a trust.
How late you can purchase tickets depends on the game you're playing. For example, ticket sales for Mega Millions closes at 10:45 p.m.
One lottery game that's exclusive to MA is Mass Cash.
You have one year to claim lottery winnings in Massachusetts.
The tax rate on lottery winnings in Massachusetts is 5%.
Of the games listed above and not including Instant Games, All Or Nothing has the best overall odds at 1 in 4.54.
Yes, you can scan tickets and claim prizes between $601 and $5,000 on the mobile app.
Graduating from the University of New Hampshire with a BA in Journalism, Richard has written for notable sports outlets such as Bleacher Report. Now with BetMassachusetts.com, Richard is able to combine his sports and gambling interests to spend time exploring online sportsbooks and casinos.